Thursday, June 19, 2014

Story Time: Part 1

This is an experiment. However, since I'm mostly doing it for my own entertainment, it'll most likely keep going no matter how many people actually are interested in it. 

So here's how this is gonna go. I cam up with a story idea and I'm going to write it in sections, developing the story and characters as I go. I'll post it each time with the label "Story Time" so they can be found all in the same place. 

That's about it. Here goes!

"Look at this masterpiece," David said as his sister Kelsie walked in. He held up a sandwich stacked high with meat and cheese and who knew what else. Kelsie rolled her eyes.

"Disgusting,"

"Come on, Kels! It's not that bad! Look, I made on for you, too," Kelsie eyed the slightly less enormous sandwich as though it might attack her.

 "The last time you made me a sandwich I felt like puking for the rest of the day,"

"This one's normal. Promise!" Kelsie accepted it and took a bite.

"Okay, this is actually good," she admitted.

"See? Anways, what did you find?"

"There's a used book shop that looks promising. Lots of old stuff. I found out where that family lives. Oh, and it looks like the Suits are here too,"

"The sooner we get going the better, then," He grabbed a set of car keys off the bedside table. Together, they walked out into the motel parking lot and got into David's car--a bright blue 1960's mustang.

"Where do they live?" David asked.

"On Walden street. I don't remember the number, but trust me, you'll sense it when we're there," A few minutes later, after they turned onto Walden Street, Kelsie pointed to a modest house painted a soft beige with a welcoming front porch.

"There," she said, 'The door's open."

"That's not good," David replied, "Let's go." He got out of the car and pulled a pistol out from underneath the car seat. Kelsie did the same. Inside the house, everything was quiet, but there was a smell. When they came to the staircase, they found the source of the odor. Two dead bodies, a man and a woman lay at the foot of the stairs. David sighed and shook his head.

"Come on. We have to check upstairs too," Kelsie nodded, but he'd said it as much for his own benefit as for hers. At the top of the stairs there was a spacious landing, and then a hallway. Every door was open except for one at the end. When they reached it, David turned the nob, and then shoved the door open. It hit the other wall with a loud thud.

"Who are you? Why did you kill my parents?" Inside stood a boy with a pale face and fists held in front of him, though he obviously didn't know what to do with them. David and Kelsie both tucked their guns inside the back waistbands of their jeans.

"Oh wait. You're not the same as those other guys," the boy lowered his fists as he realized his mistake.
"Who are you?" he added.

"Time for introductions later. They could be back. You have ten minutes to pack everything you need for a couple of days,"

"What?? Why??"

"Look, kid. Those people who killed your parents are dangerous. Unless you want to be killed, you have to get out of here. You'll get a full explanation in the car. Clear?" The kid nodded, and began packing.

"Do you have any siblings?" Kelsie asked.

"I have a sister."

"Where is she?"

"At school. She goes to a boarding school for really smart kids." He zipped up his backpack. "I'm ready."

"Good. Can you tell me how to get to your sister's school?" David asked.

"Yeah," In short order, they were across the street and in the car. As David started it up, their new companion crossed his arms.

"So. It's explanation time," he said. David glanced at Kelsie, who stared at him.

"Why do I always have to do the explaining?" he asked.

"Privilege of age. You're older." she replied.

"By one year!"

"I'm too young," she continued without listening, "Therefore to naive and immature to give an appropriate explanation. The task falls to you," She stopped talking and grinned.

"First things first," David said, ignoring his sister, "What's your name?"

"Jacob,"

"I'm David, and this is my sister Kelsie. I don't know how to put this, so I'm just going to say it: You're a magician."

"I'm--what? But magic isn't even real!"

"Oh yes it is. You're a magician, your sister is, and both your parents were. Kelsie and I are as well. The people who killed your parents are anti-magician for some reason, and they kill every single magician they can find. Which is troublesome, because magicians work hard to keep themselves secret. Pretty much all we know about these people is that they're trying to kill us, and that they always wear suits. They're dangerous, and that's why we made you leave. That's about all you need to know right now."

"If I'm a--a magician, but I didn't even know it, how did you find me?"

"Every magician, even an untrained one, has a sort of sense, or an aura you might say, around them," Kelsie answered, "It lets you know who is a magician, and it's one of the first things you'll learn." By this time, they were pulling onto the highway.

"I just can't believe it," Jacob muttered as he turned to look out the window.

To be continued...

3 comments:

  1. OOOOOOOOOH. MORE PLEASE. I loved it. The sandwich argument was gold! AND HIS MUSTAAANG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this is cool! I like it! A lot. And I agree to tell you a bit about my 'storyboard' if you agree to let me know about yours. ;)

    ReplyDelete