Sunday, January 6, 2013

That Feeling





I stand carefully outside the white line; waiting. Head up, shoulders back, hands turned palms neatly behind me. I force myself to breath, trying to sooth the crowd of butterflies flapping desperately in my stomach. I run through everything in my head, all the things I must remember. Then I hear my name called. I look up at the speaker, who sits with one hand raised, lift my chin, and raise my arms above my head. I walk out onto the floor, kneel down arms in front, crossed at the wrists. I take one more deep breath. For a moment I am very conscious of the silence all around me, the silence that permeates even the voices calling out encouragement. Then the music starts. i am in a world all my own. I dance into the corner, take a step back, breath, and go. A few seconds later I am on my feet again, and I realize that I did it. I cannot stop the grin that spreads over my face. That feeling that comes only with the knowledge that weeks of hard practice payed off. I dance again, and I don't have to concentrate as hard, but then I once more find myself in the corner, taking a deep breath as the heavy feeling of concentration settles over me. I run. I move my legs as fast as I can for a few short seconds, then the world spins and I am once more on my feet. Again I feel the pleasure of not falling; saving the landing. The rest will be easy now.

Now I stand head up, shoulders back, waiting again. I shift me feet uncomfortably on the blue plastic mat, trying to keep them from sweating to much. I want for that hand to raise up, my signal to start. "Why is she taking so long?" I wonder, as that familiar nervousness settles over my stomach once more. But then her hand goes up and I begin. The first skill is hardest. I am upside down on my hands. Then one foot lands. Then the other. My toes grip the beam as though my very life depended on it. But I don't fall. And that feeling of relief, pleasure, pride in completing that which is difficult for me, it all bubbles up in my heart as I relish the feel of my feet sturdily thudding down on the beam, the satisfaction of my toes holding me in place as I stand. That indescribable feeling.

Hey guys! What do you think of the new design? Thanks to Natalie from I Dream in French for doing it for me! She's wonderful. :)  This post was inspired by my first gymnastics competition of the season, which was this Saturday. Other than that though, nothing happened, and I don't go back to school for another week.

So, until I get a perfect 10, 
Robin  

3 comments:

  1. Um, well, that was A.W.E.S.O.M.E. I felt terrified like I was doing a flip or something.

    cool beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new design, Nat! Aaaand I loved reading about your competition! The way you worded things was so amazing! I want to come and watch you sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was fantastic! Absolutely loved it :)

    ReplyDelete