Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Chapter 3

Chapter 3
When we returned, Kalla and I tumbled into bed; exhausted.

"I'm glad you're back," I whispered as my eyes began to close. The next morning, it seemed as if all the events of the night before must all be part of a dream. But no, reality came crashing down upon me. A few minutes later, when the two of us dressed and left the room, we found Sir Adam already up.

"So Rielle," he said as we broke our fast, "are you still so eager to start after the events of last night?" Tingling shivers of excitement ran up my spine as I replied. "Yes. It seems that especially now, after what they did, that the sooner I start the better,"

"You still do not understand," he replied.

"What?"

"They did not want Kalla. They wanted you, Rielle. And when those men fail to report to their commander, he send more, perhaps even come himself. And this time, they will make no mistakes. For you to leave now would be foolishness, for they would surely know,"

"But," I replied, "Last time they were hardly worthy to be called swordsman,"

"Rielle, you are not thinking!" I looked away at the mild rebuke, but invariably curiosity made me look up as he continue.

"Those were the untrained low-ranking men of the Gurabian army. And one of them almost killed you," I felt like a child again under his stern gaze. "Next time we will face men better trained and ruthless; if their commander himself does not come," I said nothing, but the taste of our victory was still to fresh for me to imagine defeat at the hands of Gurabians.

The day seemed to go on as normal, but there was an unseen, unmistakable  force pulling on all of us. A tension not normally present. For the first time, I began to be aware of a new world beyond our little cottage and the village beyond the hill, and I was anxious to see more of it.

That day, and the next two passed the same as always, and in hidden thoughts I shared with no one, I hoped it would stay that way. On the third evening after we brought Kalla back, Sir Adam said, "They will to come tonight. We must be prepared."

"How can you tell they'll come tonight?" I asked.

"A day for the original soldiers to report back, a day for more men to be sent, and a day for them to arrive here. That puts us at the current date. Their commanders are always efficient," The evening wore on more slowly than I ever believed possible. No one wanted to go to sleep. Kalla and I tried to play a card game, but soon abandoned the effort. I stared out the window for a moment then turned and walked away, sitting down next to Kalla. A second later I stood again and began pacing. I tried, but I couldn't sit still. I could tell Kalla was nervous from the way she curled and uncurled her fingers. Sir Adam gave no sign of his emotions. He stood still and calm.

We waited for what seemed an eternity. Somewhere outside a dog barked and I nearly jumped out of my skin. The tension that had been building the past three days culminated in this moment. It was the piercing crescendo in the song fear and waiting for the unknown.

The thunder of hoof beats sounded outside. I wrapped my hand around my sword hilt, the cold steel made me feel better. I glanced at Sir Adam. He appeared taught; a cat ready to spring.

I heard someone approaching. 'Only one?'  Any second, I expected to hear the sounds of someone trying to beak down the door. Instead, Sir Adam walked to the door full of purpose, and opened it. Outside a tall man stood, dressed in the green and black of Gurabia. His dark eyes deep set in narrow face gave away hardness of soul.

"Adam," his voice sounded like the hiss of a snake.

"Skarjaan," Sir Adam's  held a contempt I never knew he possessed.

"Hand over the girl and everything you know while you're at it, or I will rest it from you!"

"I would rather die first!"

"Then so be it!" his words more like an animal roar that a human shout, the Gurabian drew his sword. I heard the soft shing as it slid out of the sheath.

Sir Adam drew his sword as well. the clash of metal rang loud in my ears as their swords met. skarjaan drove his towards Sir Adam, intending, I think,  to use it as a feint and turn either to the left or the right, but Sir Adam never gave him the chance. He stopped the other man's sword with the flat of his blade, and in one swift motion slid his own sword down toward the Gurabian's hand. With no time to spare, Skarjaan yanked his hand and sword toward the ground. Had he been any lesser swordsman, Sir Adam would have been carried forward by his momentum to a place where Skarjaan could have stabbed him with ease. Instead Sir Adam pulled up and feinted left then gave a quick upward slash intended for his opponent's neck. It never got there. Skarjann ducked, and in the same motion slashed right to left at Sir Adam's legs. He jumped, barely avoiding the sword.

Once again, their swords clashed. Around and around, neither gained the upper hand.

"Give it up, man!" Skarjaan shouted over the noise, "I do not want you dead!"

"Death would be better for me than what you wish for me!" Sir Adam replied. The Gurabian's only reply was a snarl and renewed fury in his attack. That was his undoing.  In his fury he abandoned caution.

Sir Adam deflected a blow aimed at his torso with such force that Skarjaan's arm swung to the side. In that split second of opportunity, Sir Adam stabbed his opponent through the chest. Skarjaan lost his grip on his sword and it fell, even as its owner crumpled to the ground dead. Sir Adam leaned on his sword for a moment, breathing heavily. Then he bent down and picked up the dead man's sword.

"Long have I wished to hold this man's sword in my hand," he said. Then he took hold of Skarjaan's lifeless hands and dragged him outside. Kalla and I followed. Sir Adam tied the dead man's body to the horse. He slapped the creatures rump, and it galloped away.

"The horse will know where to go," Silence reigned for a moment in the cool outside air. Then I asked, "Sir Adam, are you glad that he's dead?" Sir Adam was quiet a moment before he replied.

"I am glad that he is dead, for a great danger has been removed. But I did not enjoy killing him. I have been a knight many long years, and done and seen many things, but never have I enjoyed killing an enemy. Sometimes it is necessary, but it is never something to be enjoyed. If you ever get to the point where you enjoy death, even that of your enemies, or are indifferent to it, you will have be come the very thing we fight against. remember that, Rielle."

We went inside, and Sir Adam put his sword away. Kalla and I looked at each other, unsure what to do. I felt stunned. Something in that fight revealed to me that I was up against something very large; larger than I ever imagined. This was not a simple adventure.

'Who was that man? And how did you know him? And-" Sir Adam held up his hand and stopped me.

"As for who he was, that was Lieutenant Skarjaan. He was the leader of the party we encountered a few nights ago. I am not surprised he came here tonight. How do I know him? He was my enemy of old.  he has been my worst enemy for longer than I can remember. If I am not mistaken, and I do not believe I am, he was close in the Emperor's council and knew of his plans."

"But why was he your enemy?"

"You have more questions than a hive has bees!" Sir Adam exclaimed. "He was my enemy because ever since I became a knight I have been working against the Emperor and his plans," I opened my mouth to ask another question, each explanation seemed to create new ones, but Sir Adam stopped me before I could say anything.

"I know what you are going to ask. I expected him to come tonight because I knew he would know about the ambush we gave."

"How would he know? Those men didn't know who we were. and why would it matter?"

"That is two questions, not one. He would know because he is clever. Upon hearing a description, accurate or not, he would be able to deduce that I was likely responsible. On reaching this conclusion, he would come searching for me, to gain any advantage he could. And it matters because it means things are coming to a head,"

"Oh,"

"The wind has changed," Sir Adam continued, "we will scrounge what rest we can from the remainder of the night. Then we will prepare," Sir Adam shut the door, and Kalla and I went to bed, but sleep eluded me.

The next few days flew past me in a flurry of preparation. Sir Adam told me everything he could about Gurabian pirate ships, where I was starting.

"Why pirates?" I asked

"Suffice it to say that the Emperor uses these criminals to do his work. Rielle, there is much that I should tell you, but there is no time,"

"Kalla," I said one day, "I'm going to ahve to chop off all of my hair!"

"Not all of it, " Kalla knew I liked my long hair.

"Most of it," I muttered, in no mood to be encouraged. With her help, I cut my hair so that it hung a few inches above my shoulders, short enough that I could pass for a boy.

Om the third day, it was time for me to leave. But first, Sir Adam led us to the short hallway leading to the two bedchambers from the main room. he pushed on a panel in the wall, and to the amazement of Kalla and I, the panel swung out from the wall, revealing a secret space. It was not large, but inside rested a sword in a sheath. The sheath was dark brown and smooth. Written across its surface were runes I recognized as ancient Keethian, but I could not read them.

Sir Adam held it both hands and presented it to me. I took it, holding the sheath with my left hand, and drew forth the sword with my right. The blade did not stick, and mad a soft ringing as it came out. It was long, but not thin, as a rapier. It was double edged, and on the flat of the blade another set of runes was engraved. The hilt was silver, but swirls of a pearly substance ran through it like thin spider veins. It reminded me of moonbeams on water. I swung the sword through the air against an imaginary opponent. The blade felt like an extension of my arm.

"Cover the hilt with this," said Sir Adam and handed me a leather strip. He continued as I covered the hilt. "This sword is yours by inheritance. It is of great value.One of the things you must do is find two others like it. They are of equal value; the emperor must not get them. Wield it well," I said nothing as I fastened the blade to my belt, awed by the gift Sir Adam gave me.

In companionable silence we walked to the stable and together saddled Zenith. Sir Adam put his strong hands on my shoulders. "Stay well, Gabrielle," I nodded; not trusting myself to speak, I knew my face spoke for me.

"I'll miss you, Rielle," whispered Kalla, "What if  you don't-" I interrupted her, "Don't say that! I will come back! I have to! We will see each other again!" Then we embraced. We were quiet for a moment, then Kalla whispered, "I love you,"

"I love you too," Then at the same time we let go, and I mounted Zenith. I stayed a second longer, then rode away. I knew that if I delayed for even a moment longer I would never leave.

Since Skarjaan had been killed, I learned something. I realized that this quest would be dangerous, that I had little chance. I knew that death was a real possibility, not just a far of chance that made me all the braver for facing it. It was real, and very possible. The thought frightened me.  The difficulty, and the consequences of not trying were to great. Even if I failed, at least I could say I tried.

For days I followed Sir Adam's directions until I arrived at the wharves. I tied Zenith to a tree as Sir Adam had instructed me, I knew not why. I felt very alone as I wove my through all the people. Since I couldn't tell which ships were hiring, I just went form boat to boat. The first few I tried ended with the same result. They took one look at me and turned me down. "Not lookin' fer a cabin boy," they said. I walked on, trying to avoid running in to anyone; I didn't want questions. After a few more tries, I found another one. When I asked if they were hiring crew, the man answered, "Yeah, but only sailors with experience, which you ain't got an' aren't never likely to either. Now git!" I walked away, trying to look disappointed, but I was annoyed. So much so, that I nearly walked into a group of sailors who belonged to the ship I'd just left.

"Hey fellers! Look what the tide washed up!" the one who spoke towered over me, his hands were enormous, and his face was fixed in a permanent scowl.

"New 'un, eh?" said a second man. He was smaller than the first but his thin face seemed somehow crueler; his voice sounded like fingernails scraping a stone of slate.

"Been 'avin' a 'ard time finden' a ship what'll take ye, 'aven't ye?" said another man, whose high-pitched voice was a  perfect match for his small frame. The last comment used up my tolerance, and I could not go around them.

"Give me your best swordsman, and I guarantee I can beat him. And if I win I get the job," The sailors conferred together, and then the first one turned back around and gave me an answer.

'We'll take your offer, shrimp," the last word he filled so full of disdain it couldn't hold anything else. as I watched them talk among themselves to find a swordsman, I began to have second thoughts. 'What have I gotten myself into?' I wondered. My worry compounded when I saw the man they chose. He was tall, a full head and shoulders taller than me. A thin man, with arms of hard muscle well accustomed to lifting the sword hung at his side. Even in my limited knowledge and experience I could see that his hands were those of a swordsman.

I gulped down my fear and looked up at my opponent's face. I found it inscrutable.

He bowed as custom demanded and drew his sword. I did the same.  Right away I could sense his skill. 'I'm doomed' I thought, then forced myself to focus.  After a few minutes, I could tell two things: First, this man was experienced, second, he was not using all his skill; he held back much. Well, I could do the same. I decided not to reveal all I knew. "Search you enemy,' I heard Sir Adam's voice in my head, 'Find his weaknesses and use them.' Very well. I stayed on the defensive and observed him as he did me. His fighting style showed he was used to fighting opponents with simple brute strength, not those who knew the finer points of swordsmanship. I also had the advantage of being smaller.

I blocked his wide hacking cuts with ease, but did not let my guard down. After a moment, his fighting style changed. His strokes become less, wild, more controlled. He realized that I had some skill with a sword. I became even more determined not to show all I knew, even if it was only a small amount.

The fight wore on. 'He's drawing me out,' I realized. He wanted to know the extent of my abilities. His combinations grew more and more complex, and I became hard pressed to defend myself without revealing to much. Then he advanced with a series of small but quick cuts and thrusts. I almost did not see it in time. With that, I threw caution out the door. I knew I would probably die, pirates thought nothing of killing the looser in a challenge, but that death would come quicker if I continued to fight this way. I fought with everything in me.  A moment later, I glanced at my opponent's face. A smile that reminded me somehow of a snake's o'er spread his face. He fought harder, and I knew now how I would end. My arms burned from the strength of his blows. I couldn't move my sword fast enough. I refused to give in.

'WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?" bellowed a voice. With a force and suddenness that startled me, my opponent withdrew.  Thankful that the fight ended, I turned to see who spoke. His hair and beard stuck out nearly straight, bristly enough to be a horse comb, and the color of something coated in soot.  His green eyes glinted with anger. His face was slightly elongated and at the moment, red with anger.

"Cap'n-" my opponent began.

"SILENCE!" the captain turned to me, "You are in search of a job, are you?" I forced the words out. "Yes Sir,"

"Well then I am offering you one as cabin boy,"

"But your first mate said-"

"Boy," he exclaimed, anger flashing again, "I am his captain!"

"I"m sorry Sir! Yes Sir. I mean I would like the job, Sir," Why did this man make me so nervous?

"Good. What's yer name?"

"Gabe," I answered. At the moment, I could think of nothing else. He turned to all the men.

"We sail in two hours," Then he turned on his heel and strode away. The swordsman glared at me. 'I'll have to be on my gaurd' I realized. But at least I had a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment