Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Good Christian fiction?

A few days ago, I was at a pool party with good friends, good food, (it was delicious) and obviously, a pool. My friend Joanna (from Castles in the Air) and I were sitting in the pool enjoying a pleasant conversation about books. And one of the things we talked about was the serious lack of good Christian fiction.
 It seems like most like a lot of Christian authors these days fill their stories with a bunch of fluff. Then they tack their good values and ideals onto the surface of their books so that they can say it's a "Christian" novel. But, as far as ideals go, they shouldn't be plastered all over the surface of the story. That makes them seem fake, or cheep. They should run deep, be demonstrated in the characters, their lives and struggles, inward and outward. Then these ideals seem like real things, an actual part of the story world.
Also with these ideals/virtues it seems that the non-christian authors understand what they should look like better than the Christian authors. Leadership for example. I read a book recently that was extremely well written, and it was not by a Christian author; it was by a Mormon. But this novel, written by an unbeliever, showed better biblical leadership than any of the Christian novels I've read. Two characters specifically, one, the leader of a bridge crew, the lowliest of the low. Another a noble man; uncle to the king. The second man, the nobleman, lived by the principals in a book called The Way of Kings. The principals were things like, don't ask your men to do anything you wouldn't be willing to do yourself. It told stories of past rulers, one who had traveled cross country on his own two feet rather than in luxury in order to see what life was like for his subjects, another where the king saw, as he went down the road, a peasant struggling to carry a heavy rock, and the king carried it for him. The first man, the bridgecrew leader, was always an encouragement to his men, never let them loose hope. In order to get them to practice carrying bridges so they wouldn't get killed, he did it himself. When they had to carry the bridges into battle, he made sure he always stood in the most deadly places, risking himself instead of his men. If these characters don't show biblical servant-leadership, then please tell me, what does?
Another thing that's been bugging me about Christian fiction is the quality of the writing. Set aside for a minute the morals and values and all that, and look at the actual quality of writing. To be honest, it's not that great. Once, in a sermon I heard that "Christians should be the best at whatever they do" best teacher, student, whatever it is you do, you should be the best at it because you are doing it for God. For His glory, in His service. But the Christian books I've read usually pale in comparison (with the exception of C. S. Lewis) to secular authors. The secular books I've read have been much better written, pull me into the world of the story with a force much stronger than that of a Christian book.
Alot of this has to do, I think, with the portrayal of the villain. The non-christian books I've read have me curled in a ball, my nose an inch from the page, expecting every moment the villain to jump out from behind me and attack. The Christian books I've read, however, have not been that scary. Their villains are usually some dude who lives in a far off country that we never really meet but everybody says he's really terrible. It's like they're afraid to show their villains as horribly evil bad guys because they think then they won't have a so-called "Christian" book anymore. Because it's to dark, and "we're Christians, we can't have stuff like that in our books!" Well, I hate to burst the bubble, but bad people exist in real life. And, since writing, even fantasy writing, is a reflection of real life, then bad people (villains) are going to exist in fiction to. And if you want a good story you have to make him believable.
Now, I am not saying that there shouldn't be a clear line between what is good and what is bad. There should be a distinction between the villain and the hero. What I AM saying is that the villain should be shown for what he is. The reader should be terrified of him, and yet feel a burning desire for his defeat.  This just doesn't seem to happen in Christian fiction. The job of a writer is to skilfully evoke the emotions of his/her reader. Emotions of love, joy, sorrow, fear. And you don't create fear without something to be truly afraid of. If we are going to be good writers, with good stories, not just OK stories, we need to be able to pull on our readers emotions, not just any one emotion, but all of them.
Anyways, thanks for listening to this long-winded post, and I hope I haven't made anyone mad, I don't want to be chased by angry readers armed with tomatoes! =)

P.S. Followers make my day! So pleeease, if you haven't been scared away by my excessive weirdness, pleeease follow me!

3 comments:

  1. So true! I have had similar thoughts myself about Christian books, movies, and music. It's like the writers etc. (with exceptions, of course) know that if they have a "clear Christian message" they'll sell well enough to the church audience and so they don't even try have a good story. I agree with you about the villain, that's why I like C.S. Lewis's books so much (both Narnia and his space trilogy), he's not afraid to show evil as evil. Great post, thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. That was the best conversation ever. If you ever come across some awesome Christian authors...let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin, I really enjoyed this post! Can you publish a link to Mr. Akins book on your blog? His villian sure scared me out of my wits! I love you middlest girl! Mom

    ReplyDelete