Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Chapter 1

As always, critique/criticism ect. welcome!! :)


"You should have seen the look on your face!" Kalla laughed, "I've never seen you that close to falling off Zenith" Kalla was as good as my sister. We'd been out riding, and my horse, Zenith, had almost thrown me. We went inside, took two wooden bowls from their place on the shelf and filled them with stew from the pot that hung simmering over the small fire.

Sir Adam, Kalla's grandfather, and a retired knight, would likely come in soon as well; from whatever he was doing. We sat down and began to eat. It wasn't long before a shadow filled the doorway. We looked up as Sir Adam walked in. He was tall with flowing white hair and white stubble on his chin that made him look both wise and regal. Today though I noticed that his face was pale, and looked afraid, and expression rarely seen on his face. In his hand he held a piece of parchment.

"What is it?" we asked at once. Sir Adam mastered himself, and there was no trace of the fear I'd seen a moment ago.

"I will not say it is nothing," he answered, "but I will tell you after supper and not a moment sooner." It did not take us much longer to finish eating, but still we sat at the table in hopes of more information.

"Don't you two have tasks need doing?" Sir Adam asked. His voice was teasing, but in his eyes was a command that could not be disobeyed.

"We should study outside today." Kalla suggested. I nodded agreement. Sir Adam had always insisted that, among other things, we learn the ancient tongues of Keetha and Gurabia. Keethian I didn't mind learning, because it was the tongue of our nation, but Gurabian was another matter all together. Unfortunately we already studied Keethian last year, and could speak it fairly well.

Once outside, we settled ourselves in the grass and began the day's work.

"I hate this!" I exclaimed after a few moments.

"Well, don't take it out on the book," Kalla replied as I slammed it shut, and tossed it to the ground beside me. With a sigh, I picked it back up again after a moment, and continued. We helped each other through it, and in the end it only took us about an hour to finish, though I would have said it took two!

We had nothing to do until later, so we wandered down to the stable, and gave the horses apples.  There was Rathlyr, Sir Adam's old war horse from when he was a knight, my horse Zenith, who was all black, and Kalla's, Gairdin. Zenith and Gairdin were friendly horses from a man who could not afford to keep them, but Rathlyr, well, only Sir Adam could ride Rathlyr.

"Smells like rain," Kalla commented as we walked toward an ancient oak tree.

"I didn't know rain had a smell," I replied, smiling. Nevertheless, I could not deny the faint smell of wetness that came just before a storm. I pushed away the apprehension that rose in my chest. When we reached the tree Sir Adam was already there. I picked up my sword from where he'd placed it. He gave me a pointed look as I did so, and I made a point of studying the grass. I was forever forgetting things. Ever since I was old enough, I'd trained with a sword; Kalla had no interest in it. If Sir Adam was still upset, we couldn't tell. He and I readied our swords.

I decided I wouldn't give him an opportunity to gain the advantage, so I immediately attacked. There was no break in  his defense; every advanc I could make was thwarted. Very nearly turned to his advantage.  I noticed that Sir Adam left an opening near his chest. 'Strange,' I thought. Still, I wasn't going to leave my golden opportunity lying, maybe I could beat him for the first time. I knew I had to wait for just the right moment. Just a second longer... I struck. I realized to late that once again my impatience had gotten the better of me.

Sir Adam blocked my stroke with such force that I stumbled backwards. Out of nowhere, I felt cool bark at my back. I was frantic, barely blocking his strokes in time. He executed a bind on my sword so that it flew end over end out of my hand.

All in all, the duel lasted about ten minutes. 'Perhaps he is upset,' I thought, he rarely called upon his reserves of mastery when dueling me.

"You struck a little to soon," he said.

"You'd have won anyway," I replied, sullen at losing once again.

"Impatience is the downfall of many a mighty man," he replied. Apparently he could still correct as always when he he was worried. He handed me my sword, and sheathed his own. Kalla and I followed him back to the house. Far in the distance I heard the faint rumble of thunder. I bit my lip. Kalla reached for my hand and squeezed it. I didn't let go. I hated storms. For as long as I could remember, I had been terrified of thunderstorms. Snakes, spiders, even the fabled monsters of the sea didn't scare me as much. There was absolutely no apparent reason reason for my fear either. That bothered me. To be scared of something so simple and for no reason, but there it was.

We went inside and shut the door. Sir Adam barred it, which he never did till dark. Nervous, I glanced out the window. 'Great,' I thought. Outside I saw dark clouds billowing on the horizon. To me, they were more monstrous than a sea dragon.

Our meal was a quiet one, contrary to the usual lively conversation. Sir Adam was sunk deep in thought, and that made Kalla and I quiet.

"Riellle, Kalla," Sir Adam began, "There is something I must tell you." he pause before beginning again.

"You know that Gurabia has been our enemy time out of mind. I cannot tell you all now, but I will tell you what I can. The Gurabian Emperor has long had a plan for the destruction of Keetha. Soon, he wants to put that plan into action, and he must be stopped. There are few who know of this."

"How can we stop him?" I asked.

"There is but one way, and a way of little hope it is. He yet needs two things before he can act. Gurabian pirate ships are in league with the Emperor, and search for those things. One person must become a spy, gather as much information as possible, and if necessary prevent these two things from being obtained. There is one other, far more dangerous task this person must perform. There is an item of great value and power in the possession of the Emperor. This object must, must be retrieved at all costs."

"May we see the note?" Kalla asked. Sir Adam handed us the torn parchment.

                                              "Time is running short. He has one
                                                piece. If we are to act, we must do
                                                so soon. I dare not say my name,
                                                but you know who  I am.
                                                                              Thrayan ras lyrr"


Kalla and I looked at each other, confused. The words made no sense, but I was curious to know who wrote it, though I knew I probably wouldn't get an answer.

"Who is going to this?" I asked instead. Sir Adam did not answer right away. He looked at me before answering, a strange almost wistful glint in his eyes.

"You are Rielle,"   

1 comment: